Do you know what the worst thing about running is? It’s not the weather, it’s not the injuries, it’s not the time involved, it’s not the expense involved.
It’s getting out the damn front door!
Procrastinate is today’s Wednesday Word and I have to admit it’s one of my weaknesses.
If you procrastinate when faced with a difficult problem . . . break the problem into parts, and handle one part at a time.
Maybe you have my problem too? The bed is so comfy, you didn’t sleep well, you’re just not in the mood to run . . . the excuses go on and on.
I like to say that for every problem, there is a solution. How can you beat procrastinating about your run?
- Run with a buddy. Hands down the best way to get out the door. If someone is waiting for you, you are likely to haul your butt out that door, no matter your excuses.
- Sleep in your running clothes. I’ve never tried this one personally. I do not like constricting clothes on me while sleeping, which does not mean I sleep in the nude. I just can’t see how sleeping in running clothes is comfortable. But people do it.
- Set out everything you need the night before. This one I do. The hardest part is not forgetting something.
- Reward yourself for your runs. It could be food, drink, money, new running gear/clothes . . . whatever motivates you to get out that door (although sometimes you have to be careful with the food and drink thing).
- Schedule your workouts just like you would a work meeting.
- Be a morning runner. The days get away from us sometimes . . . if you run in the morning, at least you know you’ve got your run in.
I have yet begun to procrastinate.
The quote above just tickled my funny bone.
Tell me in the comments:
What do you procrastinate about?
Do you reward yourself for running?
Any other anti-procrastinating tips?