I completed State #17 & Half #19 in July. I started the month strong with a course PR at my annual 4th race, despite very hot conditions (read the recap here). We finally had a very much-needed vacation (aka my racecation). But . . . how did July really go?
Getting in scheduled runs
I did really well with this, despite crazy travel shenanigans. It wasn’t always easy, a few were shortened up, but there were no skipped runs. And a shout out to my SIL who dropped me off and picked me up on my long run while we were visiting (and got me a post race treat — well, maybe that was Mr. Judy, but she drove).
Grade Earned: A
Recording my runs
I did a great job while I traveled, I can tell you that! Maybe I fell off a bit before and after, but overall I think I’m doing pretty good with it.
Grade Earned: A
Most of the time I do really well with my warm ups. Sometimes I do a very abbreviated one. There really wasn’t one before my half this month, but that was circumstances beyond my control — if I’d had enough time, I would have done it.
Grade Earned: A-
I’m usually quite good with this. I feel the difference if I don’t, I really do. Even though I had my Original Worm (Amazon Affiliate link & read my review here) with me during our vacation, and I did use it, I also skipped it. A lot.
Grade Earned: B
Seems like almost every upcoming racecation (all two of them plus this past one) are right before my monthly WW weigh ins. To “normal” people it’s no big deal, but I almost always see an increase in weight after a longer race. So I’m again on the edge of will I or won’t I be free in August. There have been a fair amount of treats, but also a fair amount of miles.
Grade Earned: B-
- Massage? Not yet.
- Chiropractor Appointment? Yes. I had to cancel the one I’d made prior to our vacation (and ran into the chiropractor at the airport, of all places!) but I just had one this past week and made an appointment for before the next big race.
- Do I need a hair appointment? Yes, still, but I like my hair a bit longer in the summer so I can braid it.
- I had my PT appointment. Too early to tell if it’s really helping — and of course, some of the issues had already seemed to improve on their own. Apparently I have a really tight sartorius muscle. I’d never even heard of it.
Grade Earned: A-
Oh boy, when you fall, you fall big. Cross training? What’s that? At least two weeks with no strength training or yoga or swimming — nothing, really, other than running, hiking, and walking.
Grade Earned: C
June 2018 gets . . .
. . . a B+. It would be super easy to give myself an A. I know pretty much everyone has a hard time juggling everything as they get close to a race and a vacation. What can I say; I’m a hard grader! Don’t get me wrong, July was a good month. But letting little things slide can come back to bite you.
- Continue to Prehab. As always, something is always better than nothing. On and off — not enough, but thankfully everything went okay. I guess it was enough!
- Strength train 2-3 x week. I started out the month really strong on ST, but fell off majorly before, during, and after my vacation!
- Foam roll — really foam roll. Sometimes. Again, not enough.
- Chiropractor visit. Y.
- Run a 4 mile race. It looks to be even hotter than usual. Take it easy-ish. Y. Easy-ish, bwahaha! But it went well.
- Greens daily. Y. Mostly. Although that might have gotten me into trouble after my race. Stay tuned for the recap next Tuesday.
- Berries daily. Y. Mostly. Even on vacation I often was able to have some.
- Shoot for a couple of classes at Wellnest Studios. N. A big, fat N!
Which leads me to August Goals:
- Continue to Prehab. As always, something is always better than nothing.
- Strength train 2-3 x week. Thankfully this is my peak week and I finally get to taper! Strength training has been seriously lacking and it’s definitely going to help me with my 1812 race.
- Foam roll — really foam roll.
- Chiropractor visit.
- Join my friends for a fun race — although I’ll be doing the longer distance — if the weather isn’t horrible (which is usually is). Watching & waiting to pull the trigger!
- Greens daily.
- Berries daily.
- Shoot for a class at Wellnest Studios. I’ve paid for them — now I need to make time for them!
- Hopefully keep all of my toenails. 🙂