This race keeps getting later and later in the year, and yet the weather doesn’t seem to improve. Two years ago, the last time I ran this 5 mile race, it was the beginning of April and it snowed. Our forecast was for an ice storm the night before — but for once, thankfully, the ice didn’t materialize — they were only off by a day (ice storm Sunday night).
Ok, let’s dive in!
Packet Pickup is in the gym of the school the race starts in front of. It’s always easy. The race shirt was changed to a short sleeve tech shirt from a long sleeve tech shirt this year. I always order up a size but now the tshirts run big.
Looking at the race shirt, I was initially disappointed. Then again I’ve just never been fond of the race shirt for this race. When I got home and tried the tshirt on, though, I kind of liked it. Not the design. And not the rather narrow cap sleeves (but remember I’d sized up). But the soft material. I won’t be running in this shirt but I’ll work out in it or perhaps hike in it some day.
I hung out with Darlene and another Wineglass girl — always nice to have a warm, dry spot to hang out in and real bathrooms to use on a cold, drizzly day (yes, in the 30s). I skipped my warmup mile but did do my foam rolling and dynamic stretching before the race.
My Race Plan
I went with my normal I-don’t-know-my-5-mile-PR-so-I’ll-just-shoot-for-this-time goal: 54 minutes. I also had a goal to try to stay below an 11 mm the whole race.
So how’d that work for me?
- Mile 1: 10:34. Just like the last time I ran this race, went out a little too fast.
- Mile 2: 10:45. Happy with this mile.
- Mile 3: 10:43. There is only one water stop halfway through this race. I know this. I also know that I like to sip a little water every mile. So I brought a small water bottle with me — or so I thought. So yeah, I had to stop at this water stop. A pretty decent time anyway!
- Mile 4: 11:00. This is exactly where I slowed down when I ran the race two years ago. No doubt that first mile coming back to bite me.
- Mile 5: 11:04. Usually my last mile is my fastest, but there seriously was just no gas left in the tank.
- Last .05: 8:49. There are a lot of turns in the race, so for most of us, it tends to run just a little over. Apparently there was some gas left, since I managed to sprint to the finish line.
54:36 — Official Time
10:58 Average Pace
Much like the last time I ran this race, I came really close to my goals but didn’t quite meet them — but I know, I know, I’m splitting hairs. And I’m quite happy with this race! The speedy, serious runners come out for this race. I was 299 out of 327 runners, very firmly in the BOTP (back of the pack).
The weather & dressing
I would say it was a nice day for running, but the weather was actually good for racing — cold, but not too cold. Not too windy. And it pretty much stayed dry the whole race.
I went with my Wonder Wool Skirt, Wonder Wool Long Sleeve top, and Double Take Reversible Jacket from Skirt Sports. It was the perfect outfit for me. Don’t forget to use code 522CRJ for 15% off of non sale items at Skirt Sports.
Was the race well run?
Yes, as always. Just get there early because parking goes quickly! That and I’d like another water stop, please. Although I guess if you’re a fast runner maybe you don’t need it. Thank goodness I’d made it a point to hydrate well that morning!
There’s food before and after the race, but I brought my own snacks. And I always get my free massages after the race!