August was filled with the most miles I have ever run in what seemed like the most humidity, too. Not to mention warmer than normal temps.
Getting in scheduled runs
When it came to getting in runs, August was a doozy! Not so much in getting my runs done, but in the never-ending rain and humidity it threw at me. I managed to do almost all of them outside. I usually cave in this kind of weather.
Grade Earned: A+
Recording my runs
I did pretty good. I at least filled in the bare bones pretty quickly. Still a bit sketchy about things like distance, time, and splits, but those are things I can look back up.
Grade Earned: A
It’s really tempting to skip that warm up. I mean seriously, when it’s that humid do you really need to warm up? You’re sweating practically before you step outside! (and yes, you really do still need to warm up!)
Grade Earned: A-
Every once in a while when I’m really tired at night, I skip my foam rolling (which is another reason it’s better to do it after the run and not wait until before bed). And every time I do, I wake up the next morning feeling stiffer than normal.
Grade Earned: B+
I know a lot of runners say they always gain a few pounds training for a marathon. Only I wasn’t training for a marathon. And yet I seemed to have found a few extra pounds. Some of it was due to travel. Some of it was due to less strength training — who am I kidding — no strength training during travel. And some of it was no doubt due to the choices I made about what I put into my mouth.
I did make a real effort to clean up my act towards the end of the month . . . until my 18 mile race, of course! Even then, while I certainly indulged — anyone that follows me on Instagram knows that — I also passed things by that I wanted. It’s the story of my life.
Grade Earned: B-
- Massage? Not yet.
- Chiropractor Appointment? Yes.
- Do I need a hair appointment? Yes, a broken record here. Luckily I like a long braid for my summer races.
Grade Earned: A-
After an extended break during/after my half in July, I got back at it. I knew I would need strong legs! I swam once a week until the pool closed. There was at least some yoga, and there was definitely strength training. I even did yoga before and after my race this past weekend — when what i really wanted to do was just laze around.
Grade Earned: A
August 2018 gets . . .
. . . an A-. Yes, I ran two races in August and PR’d them both (one being a new distance for me). Yes, I trained hard. But I also relied too much on protein bars and other “convenient” foods and while I didn’t gain a lot of weight, it’s enough to make me feel a little uncomfortable. When I indulged, though, I enjoyed every bite — if you make the decision to indulge, don’t feel guilty about it! Every next choice is an opportunity to make a healthy choice.
- Continue to Prehab. Y. Probably not enough, but, as always, something is better than nothing.
- Strength train 2-3 x week. Y.
- Foam roll — really foam roll. Y. With just a few exceptions.
- Chiropractor visit. Y.
- Join my friends for a fun race — although I’ll be doing the longer distance — if the weather isn’t horrible (which is usually is). Y. Although I decided to really join them and did the shorter distance.
- Greens daily. Y. Mostly. Even when it was just greens powder in my smoothies . . .
- Berries daily. Y. Mostly. Even if it was in stuffed french toast . . .
- Shoot for a class at Wellnest Studios. N. At least I started doing some yoga again.
- Hopefully keep all of my toenails. 🙂 Y. Happy dance!
Which leads me to September Goals:
- Continue to Prehab. As always, something is always better than nothing.
- Strength train 2-3 x week.
- Some extra Core TLC. I do work my core, but I think I need to make it more of a priority again.
- Foam roll — really foam roll.
- Chiropractor visit.
- Swim when the pool reopens.
- Greens daily.
- Berries daily.
- Sign up for a half at the end of September.