October was a lot less busy than September, and after a couple of months of travel — mostly fun stuff — I was ready for a slower pace. If you follow me on Instagram here, you know that I did run a half marathon on Cape Cod this weekend. In a Nor’easter.
I was with one of my running buddies — not to mention 50+ of my new best running buddies from Another Mother Runner.
Getting in scheduled runs
I did it, but while I was looking for faster paces as Fall finally arrived, it seemed I was slowing down instead. And tired, oh so very tired. And yet there was the 10k PR. 🙂 My half was not a PR, not a huge surprise in those conditions, but it was quite a bit faster than the last time I ran a windy (albeit dry) half, so I’m quite happy with it. I’m giving myself an A+ for sticking it out in those nasty conditions.
Grade Earned: A+
Recording my runs
Oy! It always seems like Fall gets me. I’m tired because I’m at the end of months of hard training, daylight is vanishing, and all I want to do is go to bed. At least most of the time I get it on the blog.
Grade Earned: C
There wasn’t much of a warmup before that 10k, but there was a little bit — although I skipped the warmup mile; obviously the race didn’t suffer. Mostly I’ve been pretty good about it. I did warm up before my half, because it was a short walk from our hotel to the start.
Grade Earned: A-
I’d say we’re about 90% here. Every once in a great while I do skip it, and then I always regret it. Stay tuned on the foam rolling front, I have stuff to share there eventually!
Grade Earned: B+
After months of travel and racing I’m at a weight that isn’t quite comfortable for me. You probably wouldn’t notice anything but I do. I don’t go crazy, but between being short, on the other side of menopause, a stressful year . . . it’s oh so easy to let the pounds inch their way up. I’m fighting it.
One of the ways I’m fighting it is by switching up my snacks. I love sweet snacks. Who am I kidding, I like sweet everything! And sometimes I still do sweet snacks. But I’ve also been snacking half a sandwich on sourdough with canned salmon mixed with hummus. Don’t knock it til you try it!
Grade Earned: B+
- Massage? No.
- Chiropractor Appointment? Yes.
- Do I need a hair appointment? Soon. Very soon.
- I did an epsom salt foot soak!
Grade Earned: A-
I’ve continued to be pretty strong on the strength training front, but most other cross training is lacking. It seems every time I would normally swim I have a vet appointment or something else in the way of getting to the pool
I have used the stationary bike, but not as much as I should. When it’s a choice between that and actually getting in some strength training, the ST always wins.
Grade Earned: B-
October 2018 gets . . .
. . . an B+. It was definitely a good month, but some things are just not getting done. And I know I’ll regret it later.
- Continue to Prehab. Y. As always, something is always better than nothing. Some days I even did it before running and then later n in the evening, too.
- Strength train 2-3 x week. Y.
- Some extra Core TLC. Y & N.I do work my core, but I think I need to make it more of a priority again. I started out the month pretty strong with it but began to skip it more towards the end of the month. I still work my core, but hadn’t been working it a bit extra.
- Foam roll — really foam roll. Y. At least, I thought I was doing good until the Trigger Point class at the retreat!
- Chiropractor visit. Y.
- Swim! N.
- Greens daily. Y & N.Almost daily, but slipping a bit here, too. Hello, soup season!
- Berries daily. Y. It may be time to modify this a bit. Of course berries are super healthy, but they’re also no longer in season. Frozen is great, of course.
- Meal plan on the weekends! Y. Even with a few crazy weekends, I’ve started to meal plan again. I don’t need to prep quite as much, since I don’t work, but planning on the weekend still makes a big difference for me.
Which leads me to November Goals:
- Continue to Prehab. As always, something is always better than nothing.
- Strength train 2-3 x week.
- Some extra Core TLC. I do work my core, but I think I need to make it more of a priority again.
- Foam roll almost daily. I’d really like to say daily, but I just know that won’t happen. Can I work those knots out?
- Swim! Before it gets too cold & I am totally unmotivated.
- Play around with savory snacks (and report back on them!).
- Meal plan on the weekends! Much easier to shop and eat well when I have a plan.