When it comes to racing, 2018 was just an odd year. Some highs, some lows, and a lot of races that just didn’t happen (but luckily weren’t registered for so I lost nothing).
Getting in scheduled runs
Essentially there were no scheduled runs. No big goal races. Not as much racing as I usually do in November, as it turns out. Since it’s my one month off season and I’ve been having some aches, I’ve dropped down to running three times per week.
Grade Earned: A
Recording my runs
I continued to not record my runs. Why? Because I had to figure out where in my journal to put them after stopping for so long. I mean, how silly is that? Halfway through the month I did sit down, pull up my big girl panties, and start recording stuff again.
Grade Earned: C+
For the most part I’ve continued to do well here. I was too busy running to the start of Stockadeathon (read about it here) to warm up.
Grade Earned: A-
After the triggerpoint session at the AMR Retreat, I made it a goal to start shooting for daily foam rolling. Of course I skip a day here and there, but I am foam rolling almost every day.
Grade Earned: A+
#thestruggleisreal. I’ve definitely cleaned up my act nutrition-wise, but the unseasonably cold temps and dreary weather this month have not made it easy. Thanksgiving was one day where I chose to eat what I wanted, but didn’t go crazy, and with hosting, by the time I sat down to my full plate I wasn’t even all that hungry. Or maybe it was the appetizers . . . whatever. The bottom line is I didn’t go crazy and I didn’t let it bleed into the whole weekend.
I’d like to say the last few pounds I’m struggling with have melted off, but no. Not yet.
Grade Earned: B+
- Massage? No.
- Chiropractor Appointment? No, but when I’m not racing I only do every other month as maintenance, so no reason for it this month.
- Do I need a hair appointment? Done. Hallelujah that was long overdue!
- I even did a few more foot epsom soaks.
Grade Earned: A
I haven’t been lifting weights, but I’ve put yoga in more of a starring role and Pilates, too. The stationary bike is seeing some action.
Grade Earned: B
November 2018 gets . . .
. . . an B+. I think in a way it was a better month than October, getting back to more basics, but As are for perfection and it certainly wasn’t perfect.
- Continue to Prehab. Y. I’ve been really good about trying to rehab those aches (so rehab, really, not so much prehab; oh well).
- Strength train 2-3 x week. N. But more Pilates and Yoga.
- Some extra Core TLC. N. Well, sort of, I bought a Triggerpoint DVD that is actually a core routine and have used it a bunch of times — working your core AND foam rolling? Yes, please.
- Foam roll almost daily. Y. I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to roll the kinks out, but then again, the Triggerpoint demonstrator talked about a person who rolled for a year to really see progress.
- Swim! N. Cold arrived early this month and seems to be here to stay.
- Play around with savory snacks (and report back on them!). N.Not really. I mean, I have started to play with them a bit, but kind of fell off the wagon this month.
- Meal plan on the weekends! Y. Mostly, anyway. Sometimes it was just noting what leftovers I had on hand — even that makes a difference! I worked hard to make sure we had plenty of leftovers before Thanksgiving so I didn’t have to worry about dinner in that crazy week.
Which leads me to December Goals:
- Continue to Prehab. As always, something is always better than nothing.
- Add on some short strength training 2-3 x week. Pilates is a great workout, but I truly believe that actually lifting weights will help me age better. So while I’ll continue to concentrate more on Pilates and Yoga, I need to start lifting, even if it’s just a little.
- Bring more yoga back into my life. While I never stopped doing yoga, I realized one day, when I was so stiff during a yoga DVD, that I’ve let it slide more than I should. Way more. I do wish there was time to keep all the activity balls in the air!
- Some extra Core TLC. I need to make this more front & center again.
- Foam roll almost daily. I’d really like to say daily, but I just know that won’t happen.
- Play around with savory snacks (and report back on them!). I have just a few I enjoy. This month, it’s time to add at least one more savory snack to my repertoire!
- Meal plan on the weekends! Much easier to shop and eat well when I have a plan.