I have started off my 4th of July celebrations for many years with a race. I went on my own the first year. Then I joined a running group, and met up with them a few times — which is oddly enough how I met my neighbor who runs. We went together a few times, but her life has been very difficult for a long time and she’s no longer running.
The race is a ton of fun. The community really comes out. It’s almost always really hot and the race starts too late, but there are people on the course with hoses and sprinklers, bands on the course, and much more.
Last year I was just about over this race, but a friend wanted to run it, so we did. We had a great time, as always. Only this friend is also no longer running and most of my running friends are no longer interested in the race — before the pandemic hit.
Of course the race is now virtual. I am still debating what I want to do!
Pros of Running Firecracker 4 virtually
Here are some of the pros of running a race virtually:
- No worries about parking. Parking was always a problem!
- No travel time. The race is a good 30 minutes away.
- I can start earlier; when it’s cooler.
- I can cherry pick the day I run the race, when hopefully there’s good weather.
- This year there’s a medal. Normally I don’t really want a medal for any race less than a half. So I’m not sure if this is a pro or a con — do I really want a reminder?
Cons of Running Firecracker 4 virtually
And here are the cons:
- I’ve said that I don’t really need new race tees, but I find it’s nice to have some new ones. This falls in the cons because it looks like they’ve reverted back to their old race tees, which I’ve never liked (last year’s was actually nice!).
- My routes near home are so hilly! The race is hilly, too, but trust me, still not as bad as my routes. Although I can run downhill, while the race is up & downhill & ends on a long uphill.
- It’s a 4 mile race. I haven’t been “training”, haven’t been running that much. With my warmup, all of the sudden it’s almost my long run! Of course it’s virtual, so it doesn’t really matter, does it?
Will I or won’t I?
I’m leaning to signing up, just to support the race. Even if I never run it again. As I looked through the Website, at one point it said online registration closed a couple of days. Somewhere else stated you could register til the 28th. Not sure if I’ll get the medal and shirt or not, as it said you’re guaranteed if you register by the 5th. My guess is I still will, but obviously, not a big deal to me.
Are you still planning to “race” on the 4th?
What motivates you to run virtual races?
Do you think you’ll do anything “special” on the 4th?
If you don’t celebrate the 4th, what is your favorite Summer holiday? Why?
This week I am also joining up with the new Runners’ Roundup linkup.