September was the month it all fell apart. In case you hadn’t heard, we went to visit my parents on Labor Day, and my Dad ended up in the hospital that night. He spent almost a week in the hospital and is still in a rehabilitation center — except then he ended up back in the hospital, and is presently back in rehab.
My mom doesn’t drive. The transportation where she lives rarely goes out there. So I have spent the better part of September driving my mom to the hospital, to rehab, sleeping over there sometimes, spending literally hours in the car going back and forth.
So I’m taking a little deviation of my Love theme for 2019. I remember when this John Waite song was at its height in the mid 80s; I totally loved this song, and at the time, Mr. Judy lived in VT, and I lived in MD (we were not yet married). This song really spoke to me. It’s still does. Take from it what you will (missing running? my home? my parents when they were still vital? all of the above?).
I hear your name in certain circles
And it always makes me smile
I spend my time
Thinking about you
And it’s almost driving me wild
And there’s a heart that’s breaking
Down this long distance line tonight
Getting in scheduled runs
I have a feeling it will indeed be a one half a year year. Which hasn’t happened since I started running halfs eight years ago. I’m not sure if I’m upset or relieved about it, considering how rough this year has been. So still just running when I can.
Grade Earned: B
Recording my runs
September is mostly a complete blank when it comes to recorded runs. I hate that! It was just too darn busy and tiring.
Grade Earned: B
As I wrote about in this month’s runfessions, which you can read about here, the only reason I even attempted to warm up most days was because I was waiting for my Garmin to get a signal.
Grade Earned: B
I definitely miss it when I don’t do it, and let’s just say there was a whole lot of missing it in September. Like barely any foam rolling at all. I am still busy going back and forth to my parents for a few weeks, but things are a little calmer (we’ll see what happens when my Dad is released from rehab). Well, they were calmer until he ended up in the hospital again. It does look like maybe I’ll actually have a whole week at home.
Grade Earned: D
It wasn’t perfect, but in general I’m not a stress eater. I was often so busy I simply didn’t have time to eat. Every time we go through one of these periods with my family that’s the case and I usually lose a little weight. Mostly, though, I continued eating fairly well.
I had planned to do a little eating reset while Mr. Judy was out of town, but alas, I was only home a few days that week so there was no time and it didn’t happen.
Grade Earned: A-
- Massage? Yes! Just squeaked in with this almost the last day of September and it was glorious.
- Chiropractor Appointment? Does teaching yoga to the chiropractor count? Seriously, though, I’m not due for a bit.
- Do I need a hair appointment? I’ve made the appointment, but unfortunately I have to wait a couple of weeks..
Grade Earned: A
Yoga continued strong. There was at least an attempt at some light strength training or some bodyweight exercising. There was also a lot of walking to fill in the gaps in running and other movement. Most days I’d go for Soul Strolls either in the morning or the evening at my parents — sometimes both.
Grade Earned: B+
September 2019 gets . . .
. . . a B. Doing what I could, when I could. Lots and lots of walking. Some running. Maintaining my weight. No injuries. One 5k with a 3rd place AG award. Passing my YTT and beginning to teach Yoga a little.
- Look at Fall halfs!. N. Really don’t think it’s gonna happen.
- Strength train 2 – 3x week. Y. I’m gonna say yes. I think I did enough light weights or bodyweight to qualify for 2 x week.
- Work up to 8 miles. Maybe 9?. Y. I have a feeling I won’t be doing the 15k this year. So I did get up to 8 miles but not sure I want to go further right now. Most of my running friends are either doing long races right before, not running longer distances, or injured. Don’t really think I want to do it alone with no longer race I’m training for.
- Working on practice teaching — and finding a studio to teach/sub at. Y/N. Studio teaching is on hold right now. My schedule is just too topsy-turvy. I am doing a private class to one student right now, and perhaps will do another class at a location that is top secret for the moment.
- Foam roll almost daily. N. I’m definitely not beating myself up about this, it is what it is, but my body is crying out for it!
- Continue to try to eat intuitively — unless the weight starts to creep up. Y. Still pretty much maintaining my weight. So for now it’s working.
- Meal plan on the weekends! N. I tried, again, but I never got around to actually writing where the recipes I wanted to try were from. Need to get back to that!
- A race? At some point?. Y. The Running Gods gave us some more awesome weather and you can read about it here.
Which leads me to October Goals:
- Strength train 2 – 3x week. This will always be a goal. As we age, we naturally lose muscle. Bodyweight exercises count.
- Do my best to remain in running maintenance goal. I have a pretty good feeling October will be super challenging in the running department, but I also don’t want to have to rebuild from scratch if I don’t have to. Will continue to listen closely to my body and try to make wise decisions.
- Develop at least one vinyasa class. I may not be able to commit to a class right now, but if I can have a couple of classes all set to go, maybe I can get on some substitute lists.
- Foam roll when I’m able. That might mean bringing my foam roller with me to my parents. Or just making sure I do it when I run at home.
- Continue to try to eat intuitively — unless the weight starts to creep up. Winter is coming. It’s a time I — and most people — tend to put on weight if not mindful.
- Meal plan on the weekends! I’ll keep putting this in until I get back to it. I actually wrote down a few recipes I wanted to make in my journal. Because I often know what I want to make but not where it is (Pinterest, which cookbook, etc).
- A race? At some point? Big maybe. I wanted to do a 10k, but it depends on what’s going on in my life. There are plenty of October races to choose from, though, even if I don’t do a longer distance.