It’s easy to give cheerfully when life is going relatively well. It’s more difficult in difficult situations, but I am working on it and this quote is a great reminder!
How did August go? Let’s see!
Getting in scheduled runs
As mentioned in my goals, I’m still pretty much winging it. I got to almost the end of the month and then I just felt super burned out. At least I walk my talk, and even though I didn’t really want to, I took a lot of rest. Better to take the rest than need even more because you didn’t.
Grade Earned: A–
I’m still doing well with dynamic warmups, but because I’m doing more trail running, I miss my stationary bike warmups!
Grade Earned: A
The days are getting shorter and the mornings (sometimes) cooler — even with more heat this week — so I have managed morning Yoga more this month. Foam rolling is a habit.
Grade Earned: A
I don’t feel my nutrition was bad this month, but somehow my clothes are tighter again. This week I’m fairly certain relying on frozen foods with their large amounts of sodium may be the culprit. All I know for sure is it’s not a good feeling when your clothes feel tight.
Grade Earned: B
I got in one swim thanks to my friend. We kept trying for another, but my schedule has been out of my control much of this month. I am so grateful to my friend for sharing her pool with me! There was ST (but not enough), plenty of Yoga, walking, a little hiking. Not as much stationary biking because I’m not running at home as much.
What I did in August
Here was some of the extra curricular activities of August:
- I visited the Catskill Visitor Center on one trip to my mom. Saw a deer at the beginning of one trail. Climbed my second firetower.
- We took a daytrip to Lenox, MA and did a short hike at Olivia’s Overlook, had a pleasant al fresco lunch, and visited one of my favorite Chocolate shops.
- I ran a 10k trail race. Or should I say mostly hiked it?
August 2022 gets . . .
. . . a B+. Running was going strong until the last week, but it is what it is (it’s also going to be hard to get in three runs this week — we’ll see what happens). I tried hard to get in ST but if it’s a choice between ST and running, running will win. I really felt I was eating okay, but the scale (and my clothes) are saying otherwise.
- Run 3 x week. Y/N. Almost — til this last week.
- ST 3 x week. Y/N. I definitely did not get in as much ST as I’d like to this month & I feel it.
- Think about a training plan for a Fall Half. N. Still winging it.
- More hiking. Y. We took advantage of a break in the hot weather to take a short hike. I had some short hikes/walks going to my mom.
- At least one real rest day a week. N. Mostly due to things outside my control, there wasn’t enough rest — until there was (because there wasn’t enough rest most of the month).
- Maybe a race Y. If you didn’t catch the recap it’s here.
- Think about a local Summer trip. Y/N. Decided that the dog days of Summer were not when I wanted to get away — and yes, several multi day trips to my mom.
- Look for hotels for Fall trip Y. The most important one is booked. Looking at some other options, too.
- Continue to try to eat intuitively — unless the weight starts to creep up. Y. Well still eating intuitively but the weight is creeping up.
Which leads me to September Goals:
- Run 3 x week. 3 times is usually doable. May sometimes alternate 3 & 4 x week, just see how it goes.
- ST 3 x week. Depends on what happens with aides, otherwise should be doable.
- Figure when I need to get in longer runs. Really hoping that September will only bring day visits to my mom.
- Maybe a race. There’s a 5k at the park close to me. As usual will wait and see what the weather does.
- More hiking. I’d be satisfied with a hike or two.
- At least one real rest day a week. August just didn’t have enough rest (for me) and that derailed my goals a bit.
- Maybe a short local trip. This would actually include the more hiking goal. I have some places in mind.
- Book rest of hotels for late Fall trip. The time is now.
- Continue to try to eat intuitively — unless the weight starts to creep up. I do still feel intuitive eating is working.
This week I am also joining up with the new Runners’ Roundup linkup.