A few stats:
- 10 Days
- Driving through 5 states
- Driving roughly 1000 miles to my race
- Staying in 5 different places
- Meeting up with family
- Meeting up with & hiking with Debbie @ Debruns
- Chasing the sunrise & sunsets for photos
- 1 National Park
- 1 National Historical Park
- Oh Yeah, my 2nd trail half — my 20th state and my 23rd half
I’m joining Kim @ Kimrunsonthefly and Deborah @ Confessionsofamotherrunner — and don’t worry, I’m not going to run through 2 weeks of stuff: I’ll just touch on some of the highlights. Needless to say, there was walking, hiking, and running, oh my! And Yoga and Pilates . . .
I tapered 2 weeks before my race, ran one shorter progressive run the week of the race, and then I ran my second trail half 10/29, which went reasonably well and the weather was nearly perfect — thank you, weather Gods (just a few days later it poured buckets).
Harper’s Ferry National Historical Park
This was basically on the way to VA — so stopping here got us a new state (WV). We didn’t have a whole lot of time here, but I really enjoyed the time we did have and would like to go back someday.
I also got to hike a tiny bit on the AT (Appalachian Trail) which runs through Harper’s Ferry. This is also where we bought the National Park Lifetime Senior Pass (or rather Mr. Judy did, you have to be 62). We did the short hike to Jefferson Rock.
Shenandoah National Park
- We did the short hike up to Black Rock our first night here to catch the sunset
- After a a much needed rest day (it poured almost the whole day), we met up with Debbie so she and I could hike Dark Hollow Falls. Debbie was a real trooper, after having an app send her the wrong way and driving way longer than she anticipated. She even sent me the photo of the park sign!
- I actually
draggedwent out with Mr. Judy again that night to catch the sunset. We stopped at Stony Man Overlook, Jewells Hollow Gap, and South River Overlook. There was a tiny bit of hiking at Stony Man Overlook — looking for the trail that happened to be at the lodge where we ate dinner later — again, with a very short portion of it along the AT.
- I was going to go out the next morning to chase the Golden Hour (the time after the sunrise, because I wasn’t really getting out early enough to catch the sunrise — or was I?), but Mr. Judy got up because he was concerned about me going out by myself. I mistakenly directed us south instead of north to the overlook I’d picked out, but it’s hard to go wrong in SNP and we stopped at Bacon Hollow Gap, Loft Mountain Overlook, ending with a short hike at Frazier Discovery Trail.
- No hiking on our final day, but as we drove out of the park we stopped at Spitlier Overlook and the Tunnel Overlook to take n the views.
Favorites of the week
I chuckled to myself when several people congratulated me on finally getting away to Thacher Park on my last WRD a couple of weeks ago. That was just a day trip — a warm up, so to speak. I try not to advertise when we’re going to be away here on the blog (not much, anyway). One reason I never really came out and said I was training for a particular half.
We also stayed one night with Mr. Judy’s cousin and her family in VA. It had been 8 years since we’d seen them, so it was fun to catch up with them.
Lastly another reason for this trip was to explore more areas we are thinking of retiring to. I really loved this area of VA, so we may be back at some point. I thought we’d explore PA more, but it didn’t happen — we just drove through. We have been to PA over the years a few times, but visiting and an eye to living somewhere are very different things.
I had plans to meet up with Laurie (remember Meditations in Motion) — the second time we had plans to meet up! — but alas she got sick (pretty much her whole family had gotten sick) so we ended up not meeting. Again (the last time it was due to a canceled race during the Pandemic).
There are more photos on Facebook (here if you don’t follow me already) — in fact, there will be ongoing photos because . . . 10 day vacation.
ICYMI: In November we’re practicing gratitude, specifically body love, and we’re starting at our feet — flow with me here,
Coming up on Tuesday: Maybe I’ll get around to wrapping up October!