I was not familiar with Stevie Nicks’ song, That Made Me Stronger. It’s true, though, that the tough times we go through make us stronger. You have to go through it; no one else can do it for you — they can only support you.
The last 6 months? Hard. So hard. Did they make me stronger? Did they change me? Time will tell.
Can you write this for me
He says no, you write your songs yourself
That made me stronger
It made me hold on to me
Getting in scheduled runs
I kept with my 3 x week runs. Which is not to say February didn’t make it challenging. Much less travel — but still one trip to my mom’s. Not much snow — but plenty of ice. I’m pretty proud that most of those runs occurred outside. I began to lengthen the long runs.
Grade Earned: A+
Recording my runs
After the intensity of January, I fell almost completely off journaling the first couple of weeks of February. I did run, obviously. I have the blog to go back and fill in the blanks. Which is part of why I write a detailed recap of my runs on the blog. It’s my backup.
Grade Earned: B-
It gets done. The length varies, but I do move my body before running. Cold rubber bands break when they’re stretched. You don’t want to break your legs, right?
Grade Earned: A
I haven’t moved back to more frequent foam rolling, but I really am committed to foam rolling before I get out there and run. If I wait til afterward — well, the stretching doesn’t even always happen afterward.
Grade Earned: A
There was more eating out than normal in February, especially my birthday weekend. Not only did I have 2 cakes, chocolate covered strawberries, and pizza, but there was sushi, too! Plus some of my husband’s tempura veggies. The secret to indulging? Don’t wait til the proverbial Monday to get back to healthy eating.
Grade Earned: A-
- Massage? No. No birthday massage for me. 😦
- Chiropractor Appointment? Still no.
- Do I need a hair appointment? No — I actually had 2 in 2 months! My hairdresser seriously thought that second appointment was a mistake. And that is the last time that will happen!
Grade Earned: B-
My recent bone scan (my first) came back with mildly low bone density. I’m sure that my very low Vitamin D levels are to blame. I am really making an effort to get in that strength training 3 x week! I was successful this month.
In addition, I have also begun to ride my stationary bike before breakfast several times a week. When I run on the treadmill, I also use it as a warm up. Obviously there is lots of Yoga.
Grade Earned: A
January 2020 gets . . .
. . . an A-. There’s always room for improvement, but February went pretty well.
- Strength train 2 – 3x week. Y. February was a busy month. But I really committed to trying to get in more strength training and was successful.
- Continue running 3 x week and maintaining my base. Y. No, I didn’t add in a fourth day, and probably won’t for a while, but I did begin lengthening my long run.
- Start practicing at the Yoga Studio that’s close to me. N. Let’s just say life has thrown a few more curve balls my way so it didn’t happen.
- Foam roll when I’m able. Y. Still just pre-run, but that’s the most important to me.
- Continue to try to eat intuitively — unless the weight starts to creep up. Y.There was more eating out than planned in February, not to mention those dreary end of Winter days are testing my resolve, but I am proud of continuing to maintain my weight intuitively. People who’ve never struggled with their weight will never understand why it’s even an issue for anyone, but others will get it.
- Meal plan on the weekends! Y. Are you shocked? Yes, I started to meal plan on the weekends again! If you fail to plan, you plain to fail, never forget that!
Which leads me to March Goals:
- Strength train 2 – 3x week. I’m really shooting for those 3 x week, even if one session is just 10 minutes.
- Continue running 3 x week, adding in more mileage. If I’m motivated, maybe I’ll add in a fourth day. My guess is that won’t happen anytime soon. Still. Other fish to fry.
- Begin to write half marathon plans. I like to look at the race date, and work backwards from there. Even for the June half, it’s time — starting early gives me that wiggle room.
- Start practicing at the Yoga Studio that’s close to me. Um, maybe. Depends on what happens in life.
- Foam roll when I’m able. Would love to foam roll at least occasionally on days that I don’t run.
- Continue to try to eat intuitively — unless the weight starts to creep up. Although I’d love to drop just a little weight, I’m still maintaining fairly well.
- Meal plan on the weekends! Planning makes almost everything better. Just sayin’.
- Maybe a shorter race? It’s been months since I’ve raced. Time to remind these legs that they can turn over faster.
This week I am also joining up with the new Runners’ Roundup linkup.