April continued to be a challenging month. It would really help to have Spring-like weather, but it’s not unusual for us to miss out on Spring and unfortunately this was another year that that’s true.
The flowers are blooming, the trees are slowly beginning to leaf out, the lawns are greening up, every once in a while we come across a blue Robin’s egg. Sure signs that there is a season to everything, and that there’s always hope in the world if you look for it.
Taking a slight break from songs with strong in the title, to songs with strong in the lyrics with Mariah Carey’s “Hero”:
So when you feel like all hope is gone
Look inside you and be strong
And you’ll finally see the truth
That a hero lies in you
You know I’m all about looking within (yup, that’s what GoWithYin Yoga is a play on). Or as Dorothy had to learn, the power is within you all along.
Getting in scheduled runs
Although I still seemed to struggle with recovery from runs, unlike March, I didn’t miss any runs. So there’s that. Can’t really decide if I need to train for the June half or not. I caught a video from one of the coaches saying he’s still training as if it will not be cancelled.
I am having a hard time deciding if it’s really worth upping my mileage right now. Considering it’s a race where they have to bus you up a mountain . . . even if they decided to hold it, I can’t see doing it. It may be a #firstworldproblem, but yes, it makes me sad.
Grade Earned: A
Recording my runs
Pretty much total failure. I guess because I was so busy with 21 Days of Yoga.
Grade Earned: F
I’ve been very good about the dynamic warmup. It’s all part of the great nasal breathing experiment.
Grade Earned: A+
I’ve been great with foam rolling too. I got back to foam rolling most days, sometimes twice a day on the days I run. I just realized how much better I feel when I do it.
Grade Earned: A+
I don’t really feel as though I’ve been eating that badly, although I notice feeling hungrier than usual. My weight stayed pretty steady through April, although there was an uptick last week. Maybe it’s because I’m running slower? Fewer miles? Or is it just stress?
Grade Earned: B
- Massage? Nope. We all know why.
- Chiropractor Appointment? See massage.
- Do I need a hair appointment? Again, see above. I suppose I should take this section out, it ain’t happening in the near future (although the chiropractor is open).
Grade Earned: F
I’ve been doing fairly well with the cross training: Yoga, strength training, stationary bike, dogwalks. I haven’t been hitting it hard, my body just hasn’t felt up to that for whatever reason.
Grade Earned: A
April 2020 gets . . .
. . . an A-. I guess for a lot of us in April it became apparent we’re in this for the long haul.
- Strength train 2 – 3x week. Y. I’m fairly certain I got in at least 2 strength training sessions a week. I often wanted to do more, but my body just kept asking for rest.
- Continue running 3 x week, adding in more mileage. Y. I upped my middweek runs but kept my long run the same distance — until last weekend, when I did 9 miles.
- Plan out long runs (in case I run the June half). N. Came to the conclusion one way or another the race is not happening.
- Foam roll when I’m able. Y. High five for doing it pre-run, post-run, and most non-running days too.
- Continue to try to eat intuitively — unless the weight starts to creep up. Y. Weight is creeping up just a little. Maybe all I really need is some Vitamin D in the form of sunshine. Sunshine makes everything better, right?
- Release my 21 Days of Yoga Challenge! Y. I had no idea how much work this would be when the idea came to me shortly after my Dad passed. Thank you to everyone who gave it a try!
- Carve out a time to read non-fiction daily. Y. Not too surprisingly, mostly Yoga related. Still so much to learn.
Which leads me to May Goals:
- Add in Lean & Lovely once a week. This is more of a push program with kettlebells I’ve had great results with in the past. I need to lift a little heavier — occasionally. Otherwise I still love working out with Pahla B here. I’m just in awe of how much material she continually shares.
- Continue running 3 x week, adding in more mileage. I’m not sure how much mileage I’ll be adding in. Maybe I’ll go up to 10 miles. Maybe I won’t. Stay tuned.
- Strength Train 2-3 x week. That’s my gold standard. Listening to my body is the most important thing.
- Explore a backbend course in one of the Yoga memberships I have. I can’t do wheel. I can do Camel, I can do Bow, but Wheel still eludes me. It may just be a strength problem, but I know that backbends are good for me, so it seems like a good goal. It could take me a long time to good there, but you already know I’m patient. Besides it totally jives with my Strong theme for 2020. How did I know we’d all need to be so strong?
- Continue almost daily foam rolling. It’s amazing how much of a difference this makes for me.
- Continue to try to eat intuitively — unless the weight starts to creep up. A slight uptick on the weight the end of March. Just a couple of pounds can make a big difference in how my clothes fit (yup, that’s what happens when you’re 5’1″ — happy I haven’t started to shrink yet!).
- Take the tests for the online Reiki course I’m doing. Okay, I admit Reiki is a bit woo-woo even for me. I try to keep an open mind about things, and for me, it’s not always about the science. I find it really fascinating, though, and I like learning. I might sign up for the animal Reiki course too. Couldn’t hurt, those furkids ain’t getting any younger.
This week I am also joining up with the new Runners’ Roundup linkup.