July was actually rather busy. A 30 hour meditation course. 2 trips to mom. A fun daytrip. Family Zoom call. Routine vet visit for Lola (Bandit needs one, too). Filming videos (which lately seems to always be a struggle).
Myself and my loved ones are healthy. My mom tires a lot easier — as does Lola — to be expected at both their ages, but not always easy to witness.
July’s song is Fighter by Christina Aguilera. I don’t really know many Christina Aguilera songs, although I do know she has a powerful voice. Has anyone else noticed how much this lyric resembles Kelly Clarkson’s “What doesn’t kill you”?
Makes me that much stronger
Makes me work a little bit harder
It makes me that much wiser
So thanks for making me a Fighter
2020 has not been kind to us, and yet — it’s the hard times we go through that make us grow. As much as we might wish we didn’t have to go through hard, painful, times, they shape the people we become.
Getting in scheduled runs
I’m still happy with 3 x week for the forseeable future. It gives me more time for my stationary bike, strength training, and Yoga. I kept thinking I would go a little longer for my long run, but then someone turned the thermostat to hot and humid.
Except I started to feel run down last week, so this last week of July I’m going to skip a run. Or two. We’ll see. Trying to get ahead of whatever is going on.
Grade Earned: A
Recording my runs
Yeah, still not happening..
Grade Earned: F
I was doing great with this — I’d even say I was on a streak. Until a couple of very hot and humid days when I totally skipped the warm up. Bugs may have been the reason.
Grade Earned: A-
Still only rolling before a run — at least that it something that I have not skipped (so far).
Grade Earned: B
Nutrition has been pretty good, but as always, room for improvement. The older I get the less I can eat. It is what it is.
Grade Earned: B
- Massage? Nope. We all know why.
- Chiropractor Appointment? See massage.
- Do I need a hair appointment? This could end up being the longest I go without a haircut — which is saying something, I’ve actually gone 5 months before.
Grade Earned: F
Cross training is my super power, apparently. Yoga, strength training, Pilates, stationary cycling.
Grade Earned: A+
June 2020 gets . . .
. . . an A. A couple of Fs again, but mostly July was a busy month and I did the best I could with the time I had.
- Continue exploring Peloton App. Y. I’ve tried one class (at least) from a lot of the different categories, although there are probably some categories I won’t try. There’s definitely still more to explore.
- Continue running 3 x week. Y. I have continued my outside running streak. Definitely not always easy with this hot summer! I’m giving myself a pass on skipping a run/s this week. It was needed.
- Set an intention for each run. Y. I won’t lie: sometimes I struggle with coming up with an intention. Sometimes I struggle with remembering what the intention was! (read more about intentions here).
- Continue almost daily foam rolling. N. I foam rolled before my runs. That’s all.
- Continue to try to eat intuitively — unless the weight starts to creep up. Y. Weight is basically in maintenance mode, and that’s okay.
- Learn more about meditation.Y. I took a 30 hour Beginning Meditation Coach course, which I really enjoyed.
- Extend either a weekday or long run. Y. I signed up for virtual trail runs this month (with the swag being pottery), and we’re assigned a different distance each week.
- Complete virtual July 4th race.Y. I even managed to do it on the fourth.
Which leads me to August Goals:
- Run 4 x week. I plan to take some of the Peloton bootcamps, and that will involve treadmill running. So it won’t be a lot extra, and it’ll be mill miles, but miles are miles. Doesn’t have to happen every week but that’s what I’ll shoot for. Gonna be flexible with it – depends how I feel.
- Set an intention for each run. I enjoy this goal!
- Finish the irest course I started. I’ve been into something called Yoga Nidra for a while. It’s part relaxation, part meditation. irest is a particular form based on Yoga Nidra — and I signed up for the Great Courses for free so I could take this course. But I only have a month! I’m halfway through so I’m sure I’ll finish it before my free trial is up.
- Continue to try to eat intuitively — unless the weight starts to creep up. A permanent goal.
- Add in more Pilates when I can. I really enjoy Pilates. There’s a lot of benefits to runners from practicing it. Even just 10 minutes. It’s just hard to squeeze in. Strength training was a bit lacking at the end of last July, and with less going on in August, I’d definitely like to be more regular about it.
This week I am also joining up with the new Runners’ Roundup linkup.